Hands up if you’ve picked up a ton of cool AF patches and pins but have no ideas what to do with them?
We hear ya!
At Punky Pins, we love seeing all of the cool ways you show off your latest picks from our collection and we especially love seeing a plain denim jacket transformed with our designs. If you've been planning on creating your own Punky masterpiece for the summer, we have you covered. In this blog, our team is going to talk you through some of the easiest ways to personalise your denim jacket and get it ready for all of those pins you’ve been hoarding over the last few months.
A denim jacket is the ultimate addition when it comes to nailing an everyday vibe. This easy to wear material looks good with ANYTHING and you can pretty much do anything you want with the fabric to make it your own. Paint it, dye it, rip it apart and stitch it back together - it’s the perfect base for some serious personalisation.
The only limit to creating an awesome personalised denim jacket is your imagination, but here are some of the easiest crafty bits you can get started with right away.
- Fabric dye
- Cheese grater (no, we’re not kidding)
- Fabric pens and paint
- Embroidery thread
Psst….if you’re looking for tips on how to iron on patches, we got ya!
How to distress a denim jacket
Distressed denim is our fave and it's really easy to do. Denim just looks so much better when you can tell it’s been worn in, but if you don’t have the time and you’re looking to transform a new jacket, here are our top tips.
- Take a piece of sandpaper and go to town on the jacket, focus on areas that will most likely have seen wear and tear (elbows, shoulders)
- Raid the kitchen cupboard and get the cheese grater out! Lightly rub the grater on areas you want to appear worn, just like the sandpaper method. The grater technique also works well on pockets. Just watch your fingers!
- Create a frayed look by taking a pair of scissors and creating small cuts in the fabric, ideally on the chest or the back. Once you see raw edges, give them a pull and voila!
- Bleach your jacket by taking an old spray bottle and creating a mixture of water and a small amount of bleach. Spritz the jacket to change the colour of the denim in the places you want to appear worn. Make sure you wash it before wear!
How to embroider a denim jacket
Embroidery is a killer way to personalise your denim jacket and it's surprisingly easy to do! We’re not saying you’ll be creating masterpieces on your first go BUT if you stick to simple designs and outlines, you can add fun elements to your jacket in no time.
- Choose the shape you want to embroider. For your first go maybe go for your initials or a clean shape like a flower, teardrop or heart.
- Using chalk - lightly draw your designs on to your denim jacket. We recommend chalk as it’s easy to rub off if you make a mistake!
- Get a needle and embroidery thread and carefully stitch around the outline, using small, running stitches. Amp it up with glitter or neon thread if you’re feeling fancy.
How to add pins and patches to a denim jacket
Once you’ve got your denim jacket looking how you want it, it’s time to start putting all of those pins and patches to good use. The best thing about creating a personalised denim jacket is that there are no rules. Go for a mismatched look with all of your favourite pins and patches all over the denim, or carefully place them if you’re feeling that symmetrical vibe.
Created YOUR denim jacket is all about expressing your personality, so get creative and wear your Punky Pins swag with pride!